Call for Nominations: Board of Directors
(Updated March 21, 2023)
Nominations for the national board of directors for the June 2023 to June 2025 term have now closed.
Nominations have now closed.
Who are we?
Since 1973, Celiac Canada (CCA), a national not-for-profit charity, has been the national voice for people who are adversely affected by gluten, and is dedicated to improving diagnosis and quality of life. In addition to a small national office located in Mississauga, Ontario, CCA is backed by support groups and chapters across Canada serving members locally.
Every person in Canada with celiac disease diagnosed and empowered.
Empathy, integrity, adaptability.
Is this role for me?
- Are you passionate about helping people impacted by celiac disease, dermatitis herpetiformis or non-celiac gluten sensitivity?
- Do you want to be involved in making decisions that could help improve their lives?
- Do you want to grow your professional and personal skills and network in board governance, strategic thinking, problem solving, financial oversight and issues management?
We need you to be ready to:
- Prepare for and participate in bi-monthly board meetings (2-3 hours each in the evening and/or weekends) and attend up to two weekend-long Board retreats (virtual or in-person) per year.
- Take a leadership role through participation in a board standing committee (Executive, Governance or Finance/Audit), serving as Board liaison to an operating committee, or managing a special project (12+ hours/month).
- Actively participate in all strategic and financial discussions and issues impacting CCA.
- Evaluate the role and performance of the Executive Director.
- Respect final decisions of the board and adhere to board confidentiality and privacy.
- Listen to others’ views, advocate for your own, identify common interests and alternatives, and be open to compromise.
Are you the candidate for us?
- Candidates should be committed to contributing their time to the work of CCA.
- Volunteer experience especially in the not-for-profit sector or previous board service is an asset.
- We are seeking to build our board’s expertise and would welcome applicants with backgrounds in one or more of the following areas:
- Food industry experience
- Legal Experience (e.g. corporate, NFP; estates, contract)
- Change Management
- Experience with corporate governance or policy-writing;
- Ability to help CCA build its presence and impact in diverse communities.
- Some knowledge of celiac disease, gluten sensitivity or dermatitis herpetiformis is an asset but not required.
We are committed to building and maintaining equity, diversity and inclusion within our organization and the communities we serve. We believe diversity is critical to our mission of empowering all people in Canada with celiac disease and gluten disorders to live their best lives. We especially welcome applications from Indigenous persons, visible minority group members, persons with disabilities, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and others with the skills and knowledge to productively engage with diverse communities.
Please signal your interest in becoming a board member by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.